The True Art of Art
When we were in class observing the image that Mrs. Perl so graciously printed in black and white, I truly understood how difficult it must be to be an artist. An artist that strives to make an image come alive must deal with the incredibly difficult task of making a 2D image appear to be 3D. By using figure-ground, light-shadow, interposition, and a whole array of different perceptual procedures, artists somehow capture the 3D element of an image in something that is nothing more than a flat image. Artists have to appeal to our depth perception to give us a sense of what is near and far in the painting. I was never one for drawing, nor will I ever be. But even if I was a skilled artist, this would be a lot on my plate, especially for all of my paintings. Learning about these different perceptual procedures gave me a new understanding and appreciation for even the simplest artwork.
In AP Art History, we were fortunate enough to learn many of these terms. Another thing I thought was worth noting was what Dr. Kutliroff told us about photography. Photography is very similar to the landscape drawing we learned because it consists of all of those elements. He described to us the rule of 3, basically stating that if you draw a tick-tak-toe board, you will draw your eyes towards where the lines converge. Therefore, though these elements such as linear perspective and texture gradient make a photo beautiful and detailed, what also makes it pleasing to the eye is having the gist of the photo complying with the rule of 3 so the eye won't be distracted by other details.
ReplyDelete