REM Sleep
REM sleep stands for Rapid Eye Movement sleep. During this stage of sleep, your body is essentially paralyzed. You are absolutely incapable of moving your limbs. The only thing you're able to do is move your eyes back and forth. This stage of sleep was particularly fascinating to me because I always thought that the deepest stage of sleep was the one you sleep walk and talk in. I thought REM sleep was the deepest stage in which you are in no control of your actions whatsoever. That point is true, you are in no control, but you can't sleepwalk or sleep talk. It's literally impossible. I remember numerous times where I attempted to wake somebody up, but it took me forever. I now understand that it was because they were in their REM sleep, the deepest sleep. Now I'm going to make sure to look for the rapid eye movement during this stage of sleep. But this sleep begs me to ask why animals shake when they're sleeping. My dog always kicks the air like she is running in her dream. Do dogs have the same sleep cycle as humans? Where do their dreams occur? Are they not paralyzed when they're dreaming?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.