Sunday, November 4, 2012

falling asleep

After learning about how neuron communicate I was wondering what makes a limb "fall asleep". My initial thought was that it had to do with cutting off the circulation in the arm. But i was not so sure how loss of blood could effect the neurons because we never mentioned anything like that in class. Still since I knew that by laying on my arm I was cutting off the blood flow from my arm and that by laying on my arm my arm fell asleep so I thought that one caused the other. After researching it a little I realized I was wrong. I also realized that I assumed causation when I only measured correlation. Classic mistake. I found out that just like the circulation is cut off, the neural impulses are cut off with the pressure. I didn't know that could happen. The pressure squeezes the pathways and blocks the signals. When re opened some cells do not fire at all cause while others just fire randomly, this causes the tingling. What is also really cool is that you reaquire the ability to move you arm before you have feeling in your arm because your motor cells are thinner than your sensory cells. The thicker the cell, the longer it takes to be able to retransmit the information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.