Sunday, November 11, 2012
My Own Private Illusion
This week, we learned about 5 different kinds of illusions. The first is the moon illusion, which suggests that if a large object (i.e. the moon) is seen only by itself, it won't look any larger than a nickel. But if said large object is seen in contrast to other large objects (i.e. a city skyline), the object will look MUCH larger than one is used to.
The second illusion we learned is the Ponzo illusion. This suggests that if you see two different lines placed at a substantial distance from each other against two other converging lines, one will look farther away, and therefore it'll look smaller.
The third illusion we learned about is the Ames Room. If one looks into a room slanted like a trapezoid, one may think that the room is normal. Therefore, if one person is standing by a lower part of the room's ceiling than another person, the first person will look taller, even if the two people are the same size.
The fourth illusion is the horizontal-vertical illusion. The best example of this is the St. Louis archway. The arch is famous for being the same distance vertically and horizontally. But because the bottom part is normally seen against buildings and the top part isn't, the arch looks longer horizontally than it does vertically.
The fifth illusion is the Mueller-Lyer Illusion. You can have two different, same-sized lines parallel to each other. But if both lines have arrows on each side, one line with arrows facing outward and one with arrows facing inward, the line with arrows facing outward will look longer.
Since we just learned about these illusions, it didn't feel like coincidence when, while driving on Riverdale Rd today, I noticed a natural optical illusion. Although I knew I was on Riverdale, I saw a street sign that showed Riverdale and another street (I forget which one). Because of my visual angle, it looked like the signs were saying that I was on the second street, and that I was passing Riverdale. It wasn't until I got closer that I realized that my mind was playing tricks on me. Who here can explain which illusion I was experiencing?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.