Sunday, November 4, 2012

Color Blindness

When I am watching an NFL game I always wonder if the green turf that I am seeing is the same color as the turf that my buddy next to me is seeing. What if he detects a different color than I do? Well, the simple answer is that one of us would be color blind, which is the inability to see colors that the rest of us can see.
The reason why some people are color blind is because there was a problem with the development of the retinal cone that percieves color.
I am especially engaged in this because I would like to put myself in the shoes of someone who is color blind for one day, and see how different the world would be.
You go shopping and you can't tell what color the shirt you want to buy is. You take cheese out of the fridgerator and you can't tell if it is moldy green or not. You are watching a Boise State college football game and you can't tell what color the field is (by the way, it is blue). So many things that we take for granted like percieving color, someone who is color blind can not do. It is sad, but at the same time it must be cool for 2 guys who are color blind to go walk around with someone who is not and they just look at random objects and try to guess what color they are, and the guy who is not color blind can tell them if they are right or not.
Next time you look around, try to think about what the world would look like to a color blind person and be grateful that you can see colors because not every one can.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Ben... I agree that it is amazing that we can see color and I understand how hard it would be if we couldn't see color, but I still don't see why it would be that terrible.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.