Sunday, November 11, 2012

How We Hear

Hearing is one of the most interesting thing that happens to us. People speak or sounds are made, and we are able to hear what is going on and understand it. When I watch any sporting event, I love to listen to what the commentators have to say especially Gus Johnson because this man goes nanners. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I74BG0YFKUc.
Anyways, I want to know what is going on when I hear my man Gus calling out a play and how am I hearing it.
1. Vibration of Eardrum
2. Vibration of middle ear bones
3. Vibration of oval window
4. Movement of fluid in cochlea
5. Vibration of basilar membrane
6. Receptor hair cells bend
7. Influz K+ ions into receptor hair cells
8. Receptor hair cell voltage becomes positive
9. Increased action potentials generated in auditory nerve
10. Action potentials relayed to the brain
11. Hearing Occurs!!!! Finally!
So next time when I am watching a sporting event with Gus Johnson doing the play-by-play and a big play happens, I know how I am actually hearing what is going on.

1 comment:

  1. I too find it intriguing that the process of audition has so many stages. With that being said, I don't think I will ever consciously think of that process occurring while hearing. The process of hearing, seeing, feeling is all sub-conscious.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.