A Case for Marijuana
I noticed while reading the book that it had little negative to say about marijuana. I brushed it off and figured that maybe good ol' Dave Meyers got lazy and didn't want to finish on a negative note. But then we got to class and Mrs. Perl had the same problem. She had a very tough time putting marijuana down. I am here to prove that these two occurrences were no coincidences. Marijuana has been used medicinally as a way of shrinking tumors, coping with pain, and most notably as an aid to chemotherapy patients. If marijuana is so bad, then how could it be prescribed by the very people that are paid to tell us what is good and bad for our health? Additionally, a number of states have legalized marijuana for not only medicinal use, but for recreational use as well. How could something so bad be so accepted by entire states? I don't know about you, but I'm having a very tough time figuring out how marijuana is in any way a bad drug.
You are right. Neither the book, nor did our notes contain conclusive downfalls that can result from smoking marijuana. I just wanted to throw in a few harms myself. Smoking marijuana damages your brain, heart, lungs, and immune system. Brain - it impairs learning and interferes with memory and perception. Heart - beats very fast, could lead to heart failure or eventual lack of oxygen to rest of body. Lungs - damages cells lining bronchial passage (sort of like giving yourself bronchitis). Immune system - weakened by cannabis; you get sick easier and faster.
ReplyDeleteI'm just saying - it's not all high and no low.