Thursday, February 7, 2013

Which Type are you?

While learning about different emotions, we came across the different aspects of stress--stuff like causes, function, consequences, etc. Under the subject of stress, we learned about the impact of appraisal, mainly the transactional theory (the three steps to appraising a situation). But there's another way of appraising a situation. Based on an experiment, there are two types of personalities that affect how one appraises a situation. There's the Type A personality, who is rigid and stressed, and then there's the Type B personality, who is more laid back. A great example given in the book and the packet given out in class is the comic strip that shows the Type A personality scaling a mountain "Because it's there!" and the Type B personality using the mountain as support to rest "Because it's there!" Which type of personality are you? Though I sometimes feel stressed after the pressure of schoolwork makes me crack, I've always considered myself the Type B personality. Sure, I can act aggressive sometimes, but in general nothing seems to really anger me, even if it annoys me. I'm generally happy, and nothing seems to curb that, which just makes me happier.

1 comment:

  1. I don't like the fact that there is a fine line between the two. To me you can have so many elements of both. While studies try to link Type A behavior to coronary heart disease, the connection may not be that strong, yet a relationship between the two certainly exists. It just shows that a correlation does not prove causation, as there is no proof it causes hear disease. May we all strive to take the good elements out of both type A and type B...Amen.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.