Sunday, February 17, 2013

"Side Effects"

I saw a crazy movie Saturday night. The name of it is "Side Effects." It features Rooney Mara and Channing Tatum. It was a thinker. Really, it was a pretty intense/REALLY intense movie, and a lot of it had to do with psychology.
The movie revolved around a girl, named Emily, and her problems with depression. It goes into all the crazy things she does and the medications she takes to try to control her depression.
I could relate these medications back to our psych class. A lot of them were referred to as SRIs (serotonin reuptake inhibitors). When they said that, I turned to my sister, thrilled that i actually knew something, and told her how we learned that in psych class. Basically, SRIs stop serotonin from being reabsorbed by the sending neurotransmitter. As a result, the serotonin stays in your system longer, and you feel the positive effects for a longer period of time.
Throughout the movie, Dr. Banks was trying to prescribe Emily these SRIs among other drugs to stop her sadness from coming on.
It's interesting too how this all plays in with the law. You can commit certain actions while under influence of medicine, and as bad as they may be, it could end up being your fault, or a drug's fault, or even the doctor's fault.
Plus Channing Tatum is a hunk, so that makes the movie more interesting for everyone. I know, I'm a dude, but everyone knows how good looking Channing Tatum is.
I would suggest seeing "Side Effects." It's a bit intense and kind of sad, but it's pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.