Monday, February 4, 2013

Emotional Breakdown: Super Bowl Style

I was watching the Super Bowl, like Isaac, and, unlike Isaac, I was rooting for the Ravens for a multitude of reasons. But those are not for now, if you would like to know my reasons, please see me privately. Let's get to the game, shall we!
So, it is 4th and goal from the BAL 5, and the 49ers have the ball. This play is the Super Bowl. If the Ravens stop them, they win. If they don't, they have 1:46 to string together the game winning drive. This is for all the marbles. 
Kaepernick drops back, the Ravens go all out blitz, lofts it into the end zone, NO! NO! INCOMPLETE PASS! THE RAVENS HAVE WON THE SUPER BOWL! 
I see the football hit the turf, and my heart starts beating, I get really happy, but what is really happening inside me that causes me to feel this happiness:
According to James-Lange, I see the football hit the turf, then my heart beats and what not, and, finally, I am happy and relieved. 
According to Cannon-Bard, I see the football hit the turf and, simultaneously, I am hapy and my heart stats beating. 
According to Schacter-Singer, I see the football hit the turf, my heart starts beating, I give that a label (in this case, happiness and joy), and then I feel that I am happy and joyous. 
These are all plausible theories, but, personally, I like the Schacter-Singer theory the best due to the cognitive aspect. 
Whatever the case may be, I was happy to see that the Ravens are Super Bowl Champions, but, at the same time, I am sad to see one of the greatest football players of all time leave the game, albeit in such a glorious fashion.

2 comments:

  1. Great explanation of the three theories, and great example to apply them too! I was also rooting for the Ravens, because Ray Lewis is a boss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Benzi should get some reward at the end of the year for his posts. They all relate to sports and are all simply fantastic. I happen to agree with Benzi though. The Schacter-Singer theory is the most plausible explanation, as it provides a new idea of a cognitive label, which the other theories fail to add. I just have trouble seeing the Cannon-Bard theory as a reality, as many times the reaction is not simultaneous. Anyhow, I wish the 49ers won. O well...

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.