When I was in fourth grade, I had
an excellent science fair project. At least it seemed that way to me since my
hypothesis was true. I thought I was a genius. I had predicted which of four
diaper brands was the most absorbent. I hypothesized that Pampers would be able
to absorb the most, and in fact the Pampers diapers were the most absorbent.
But looking back, I do not know if I gave a fair shot to all the other brands.
I may have let the Pampers diapers soak in the water solution for an extra few
seconds. Or maybe I made sure to take the Pampers diapers off the dripping rack
first to make sure they had the best shot at being the most absorbent diapers.
After this
week, I now better understand why my experiment was flawed. I also understand
why experimenters often do not allow themselves to be in on the information
they are experimenting with - even when they are the ones doing the actual
experiment!
This is a
method called a double-blind experiment. A double-blind experiment is where
both the experimenter and participants are prevented from knowing certain
information that might lead them to a bias. If they are biased, they could do
something consciously or subconsciously that could invalidate their results.
For example, if an experimenter knows which group of people took a certain drug
that he believes leads to better test scores, he might subconsciously give that
group information to help them perform better on the test. In this case, his
results would not be valid.
So in my experiment,
I could not exactly have made it a double-blind experiment, for my
“participants” were diapers. However, I could have applied the same concept to
make myself unbiased in my experimenting, in which case I would not have known
which diapers were Pampers, and I would not have been biased.
Very interesting topic, Isaac. I especially loved the nostalgia of looking at your first science experiment. I'd like to add that the double-blind procedure isn't the only thing that could've validated your experiment. You would have also had to eliminate many other confounding variables, like the temperature of the water (is hot water more absorbent than cold water?), or the specific amount of water, or even the size of the diapers. Remember, it's just as important to eliminate as many confounding variables as possible as it is to make sure your experiment isn't biased in order for your experiment to be valid.
ReplyDeleteIsaac, you should do an experiment on older people and diapers! Just giving suggestions... maybe they are constructed a certain way that's better then little kid diapers? I would agree with Addess, elimination confounding variables is important and it does have a great effect on your experiment. Also know that there may not be a double blind experiment in this, there is such a thing as single blind experiment.
ReplyDelete