Tuesday, September 4, 2012

first post

          I heard about this class last year from some of the girls who were taking it, and it sounded so interesting. When I found out that I would have the wonderful opportunity to take AP Psych I was so happy. But then the bombshell was dropped. The students told me that the class requires so many hours of work every week plus saturday night and sunday sessions. I figured they were probably exaggerating a lot because so many people that I talk to say that its one of the easier APs. 
          This summer I realized that they were not kidding. At first the work just looked so discouraging and it made me doubt my decision of taking the class in the first place. When I started reading the summer work I was amazed at how interesting it all was. When I got to the and of the reading i wanted the rest of the book. I am not a big reader and that feeling was weird especially because it was a required reading from a textbook. 
         There were two things really interested me: the progression of the field and early psychology. I know that the early philosophers are very intelligent people but it amazing to me what the accomplished without the tools and knowledge that we have. To them psychology was more of a philosophy than a science. They raised some of the most important questions and some of them still have not been answered. For example the nature-nurture debate and the dualist-monist debate. Its mind-boggling to me how much they knew and understood 2500 years ago and that even today we still do not have answers to their questions. I also thinks its fascinating how psychology developed from a philosophy to a huge scientific field with so many different subfields. It reminds me of a city's road system: in the beginning there was one way but as the city develops so do the streets. Now that one street has side-streets and alleys that are all connected in some way or another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.