Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Aphasia - aisahpA

I like toast.

That's all.

No, but really. One of the most fascinating things I have learned this year has got to be, hands down, Aphasia. It's an disorder caused by brain injury that drastically affects our ability to speak. Being a mute is not interesting, how could not being able to talk be cool? What I thought was really intriguing were the various types of Aphasia than can result in amazing disorders. In one form of Aphasia, one loses the ability to speak normally, only being able to communicate through song. Can you imagine having to walk around singing everything you need to say? It'd be fun at first, but I would surely get tired of it. Another form is quite confusing. One may lose the ability to read, but is still able to write and visa versa. This phenomena makes absolutely zero sense to me. Being totally lost in a subject may discourage some people, it may even drive them away from wanting to learn more, but when I'm confused by a disorder in Psych I have the strongest urge to chase down some answers. I guess that's why I'm enjoying this course. It's encouraging me to learn more than is actually necessary.

As reflected in my domination of test number 1. Just saying.

Stay classy Memphis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.