Monday, September 24, 2012

This past week we learned about activation energy. Activation energy is the amount of electrical energy it takes for a neuron to fire. This reminded me of something I learned last year and it also happened to be in science class. Near the end of the year we started learning modern physics. We learned about this experiment called the photoelectric effect. Basically it says that when a photon hits an electron it can make it jump to a different energy level if and only if it hits it hard enough, or with the right amount of activation energy. The more I thought about it the more I realized that this concept is not just in science.; it is all over the place. I find that the hardest part of doing something is starting to do it. Once you start it just keeps on going, just like our neuron. Once the neuron has enough energy to start its gates open and depolarizes. This causes the next step of re-polarizing and eventually leads to the opening the gates farther down the axon. This process continues until it reaches the end. All it needed was a little help in the beginning. That big jolt of energy gets the ball moving and it won't stop till the end. Kinda like this post. It was hard to get it started but once I sat down and forced myself to start I just went with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.