Sunday, September 2, 2012

Falling for psych

I always looked at most sciences from an evolutionary viewpoint. That is, I see the sciences as constantly developing and improving, much the same as evolution works on the natural world. Yet, I never really thought of psychology like that. In fact, I never really thought of psychology as a science at all. I always assumed that if one goes into psychology, the only place you would end up would be in a shiny, lacquered leather chair asking, "So, how does that make you feel?". During the summer while working in DC I figured I would read the summer assignment as I made the commute every day, eventually finishing the work after a couple weeks train rides. I could not have been more wrong. From the moment I opened the document I was intrigued, fascinated by the multifaceted field of psychology. I've always had an interest in psychology and knew that Freud wasn't the "inventor" of the field, yet I never gave much thought to what happened before him. Yet when reading and learning in class about how the leading thinkers of philosophy, for instance a TIME 100 Most Influential Person of All Time Socrates, had really started the entire study of the human mind. However it was only when we glanced at the full breadth of psychology, and the long process that it took to get to where it is now, that I truly fell for it. The far reaching intellectual fingers of psychology that reach into every nook and cranny had caught me as well. I was surprised to find out that psychology had applications in the evolutionary and neuroscience field. It was a shock when, in class, I realized that most of the class was not actually going to be how people think but rather more biological or neurological topics. With its great diversity of subjects, psychology had me as a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.