Mind Boggling Psychology
So it’s been three weeks. Three weeks covering the very basics of Psychology. Three weeks learning all about the pioneers of Psychology. So far nothing has quite blown my mind up until this past week. When doing my work for unit 3b, I came across something called the Amygdala. The Amygdala controls our aggression. When our Amygdala is removed, we lose all of our aggression. When it is stimulated, we’re ready to throw down. The Amygdala itself is not what’s fascinating; the fact that it can control our behavior is what’s so amazing. If an artificial stimulation can change our behavior, then what control do we have? If something man made can take our emotions out of our control, what do we have left? Do we really operate our brain? Or does our brain operate our brain? If things can be rewired and stimulated to alter our entire personalities and behavior, what does that make us? Puppets? Is the brain the puppet master? Everything is so mind blowing of late that I want nothing more than to find some answers. I just thought I would share my feelings.
I would have to agree with you. When I was reading this I was thinking, "Wait a second. If James Harrison cut his Amygdala he would become some sort of pacifist?" It really is mind-boggling. It would be cool to see a very calm person's amygdala be electrically stimulated and then watch them get incredibly aggressive. There were a couple of other mind blowing things in that unit that talked about our brains because it all boils down to the fact that the brain is one of the most incredible aspects of our body and its methods are supernatural.
ReplyDelete