Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Nature-Nurture Debate

We've been back in school for barely two weeks, and already some of the things I've learned in this class has made my head spin. For instance, when I first read about the hindsight bias, it blew my mind. It actually made me think about several instances where the hindsight bias may or may not have affected my judgement. However, the extra push of excitement was provided to me by the details of the nature-nurture debate. What I loved about it was, here are all of these famous philosophers I've been learning about since the 7th grade, and they're still influencing how I view not just history but the present world thousands of years after their ideas have either been disproven or expounded on. I loved reading about the different theories regarding whether ideas are inborn or developed; it got me to thinking about if I share some of the ideas my parent's have because they pass them on to me or if I developed them because I grew up in their household. It also had me asking theoretical questions, like about how somebody like Socrates or Aristotle viewed the world now that their theories have been disproven. For example, I read in Unit 3A that Aristotle believed the mind was in the heart. We all know nowadays that the mind is in the head, so when we think, we feel like we're thinking with our head. Did Aristotle feel like he was thinking with his heart? These ideas and the questions they present, both theoretical and substantial, have me psyched (get it?) for what may come our way throughout this course.

1 comment:

  1. Gabe you have many things right. I always love the beginning of courses when we learn the history of the subject and somehow all of those philosophers come back into play. It makes you think how were they able to learn and discover about all of these subjects? But one philosopher in particular who I have a lot of respect for, who by the way is not from ancient Greece, is John Locke. I think he really confirmed my beliefs on the nature-nurture debate. He was able to say that we are born with a blank slate. Although that does not sound so radical now, it was in his time. That is because people were not born equal. You were either in royalty, peasants, etc. Because he did not believe in that system, he was on the nurture side of the debate. This really made me think, and then I realized that I do not believe people are born better than others, therefore I believe that the way we are is because of nurture and not nature.


    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.