Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Recollections of AIPAC

While I was in DC on Aipac, several different ideas from psychology came to mind. I know they don't have to do with what we have learned this past week in school, but I haven't been in school for a while, so I have no clue what's going on. Here we go:
On AIPAC, individuals who support the committee financially receive different laniards (depending on how much many they gave) which have different colors. Certain colors permit you to enter into different membership clubs and receive different benefits. The orange laniards get you into the most clubs while the blue ones do the least for you. Anyways, I noticed that a lot of different people on the convention were constantly looking at the colors their peers had, often in jealousy. This concept has to do with the adaption-level phenomenon and the relative-deprivation principle. The adaptation-level phenomenon is our tendency to assess stimuli (including material possessions) by contrasting them with a neutral level that changes with our experience. The relative-deprivation principle is our perception that we are less well off than others with whom we compare ourselves. Thus, happiness is relative to both our past experience and our comparisons with others.
Another thing I did a lot of on AIPAC was visit different museums. I went to Art Museums and history museums. I realized how much history and art I had forgotten since learning about it in school. Then I thought about Ebbingaus' forgetting curve.Encoded memories may fade after storage. From his research on learning and retention, Ebbinghaus determined that the course of forgetting is initially rapid, then levels off with time; this principle became known as the forgetting curve.
In all, I had a great trip. But it did get me thinking about AP Psych

1 comment:

  1. Those AIPAC lanyards were intense. Especially the guys with the rainbow "I gave $100,000 to AIPAC this year" lanyards. This relative deprivation principle is always also present at the Sarachek bball tournament. Even though our team won tier 2 last year, I still saw some guys on our team looking at the winners and even losers in tier 1 thinking those guys were more fortunate than us "lowly tier 2 champs." But it's all psychological. Still glad we won last year.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.