To play in the NBA, you got to have some serious skillz. But, on top of that, you need to have intangibles that set you apart from the rest. I am not here to discuss what it takes to make the NBA, rather, I am here to apply an NBA player to the main ways we evaluate a test, namely reliability, validity, and standardization.
1. Reliability (The extent to which scores produced by an instrument or measure are consistent) - In order to be labeled as the most reliable player in the NBA you have to be consistent and smooth. The epitome of that definition is none other than The King himself. Yes, you heard it. LeBron James. He is a consistency machine, and when he does not shoot 50% from the field with 25+ points, people often think something is wrong with the man. He is on his way to 4 MVPs in the past 5 seasons, and the label he is playing at right now is simply scary. People often say that he is not human or from this planet, and by simply looking at the man, you would think that this is true.
2. Validity (the extent to which a test measures what it claims to measure) - In order to be labeled as a player who is "valid like salad" you have to be good at one thing and one thing only. Now, a couple of years ago, I tould have put Kevin Durant under this title, but he has improved his game so much that I do not think it would be fair to label him as a mere scorer anymore. So, I choose Carmelo Anthony. Right now, Anthony leads the NBA in scoring, but that is about all he is or wants to be: a pure scorer. He does not pass well, rebound, or play great defense. He is what he claims to be. The problem with this is that with this mentality, Melo will never win the chip, he has to be multi-faceted if he wants to reach this level.
3. Standardization (Basis for comparing invidual scores) - Well, this one is pretty easy. For this decade, it would be LeBron James, but, for the purpose of this award, I am going to go back in the history books a little. Yea, I said it, MJ, "His Airness", Michael Jordan. Whenever you want to compare someone in the NBA, you compare him to the greatest of all time and that is MJ. There is no question that MJ set the standard for what an NBA player, leader, and winner should look like.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.