Disclaimer: The study method and other scenarios here is not accurate and I did indeed study. It is merely suggested to use several ideas of psychology.
Today we had an illegal test, to quote Ethan Cooper. The test that was given to us was an achievement test, covering everything that we've learned since the beginning of the year. That's 12 chapters! Although illegal, there was not much that we were able to do; we were stuck having to study for it.
Studying for a 12 chapter test is no easy thing. I had to read through all of my notes, several dozen pages, as well as go over hundreds of vocab words. On top of that I needed to read through about 50 pages of review pages in the book itself, not an easy task. Only thing is, I didn't do that. In fact, I was surprised when I walked into class today and we were handed a tomb to go through.
Having finished the test, I realized what had happened. When I first heard about the test, I was overloaded with anxiety. I thought, how in the world is it possible that I will need to be taking this massive test and succeed in it. So, I repressed it. I just buried the test in my unconscious, forgetting all about it and my anxiety.
Last night, however, I was quite anxious. I had an unnerving sense of worry that something bad was coming, something horrendous. When I was going to my room to watch some TV to calm down, I told a fellow dormer, "Hey, I'm going to my room now to study for test-I mean watch TV." I couldn't figure out where all the anxiety was. When I called my parents, I shouted at them, displacing my anger towards the illegal exam on to them.
And so it was, when I walked into class, I was surprised. Surprised, but at least satisfied that I knew why I was anxious.
Thanks for the quote. And the test wasn't easy and worth being stressed over. Anyways, I know that I myself usually will use defense mechanisms such as projection to place the blame of the test being impossible on you, instead of on myself. Also, sometimes we tend to face functional fixedness when we study, where we look for the best way to study instead of trying to find simple methods that work like reviewing notes and old tests.
ReplyDelete