Although we learned it just yesterday and not last week, I still feel the need to post about the fact that our definition of intelligence is in no way assessed by common intelligence tests. Take the IQ test for example. This intelligence quotient test gauges what many to believe general intelligence. Even if this was so, which I don't agree with, it still doesn't note how we use what we learn from experience to adapt to new situations. All the IQ test does is examine one's logic.
What's more, it doesn't even only assess logic, it assesses who knows stupid, irrelevant facts. What does it matter if I know what the capital of Russia is? I don't know the answer to that, but i still feel I'm an intelligent person.
Either we need to change our definition of intelligent, or we need to find tests that actually assess what we know as intelligent.
I just wrote my blog about a similar idea to how we define intelligence. The matter must move away from a test. The question arises then if we should use any method to determine intelligence, for there is no seemingly perfect way to measure it. It is all a good question and we must come up with an effective system to determine intelligence. I like what Gardener did with multiple intelligences, though his theory lacks proper scientific bases.
ReplyDelete