Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Schizophrenia

When I was in Washington D.C. this summer, I was walking by Dupont Circle and noticed a man with a pen and paper writing down absolutely nothing (though making writing motions) and saying odd things out-loud (I had no clue who he was saying things to). I remember reading an article from the New York Times about schizophrenia, but I didn’t recall that there were subtypes of it. There are five subtypes of schizophrenia.

1. Paranoid- this is when the mind is preoccupied with delusions or hallucinations. 2. Disorganized- disorganized speech or behavior, or flat affect or inappropriate emotions
3. Catatonic- one who has this form of schizophrenia has trouble moving and has repetition of another’s speech or movements.
4. Undifferentiated- varied symptoms that aren’t specific.
5. Residual- withdrawal following hallucinations and delusions.
People with schizophrenia have increased receptors for the neurotransmitter dopamine, which may intensify the positive symptoms of schizophrenia. When I was in D.C., I believe this person was paranoid, as he was perhaps complaining about something he was writing. But who knows…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.