This past weekend I attending a BBYO convention in which I saw a number of personalities. Every time I thought about a personality this weekend, I thought about it via the trait theory. Everyone has a different personality trait that is prominent in their actions and behavior. Some people are agreeable, and some people are stubborn, but both of these, and all of the other traits build us up to be who we are.
Some people say that people can change, but according to the trait theory, people's personalities stay constant over a good part of their life. When you think about it, if someone calls you stubborn now, your parent might chime in that you have been that way since you were little. This is a real life example of the trait theory, because you have stayed with your stubborn personality since you were little.
Some people at the convention have a more forward personality that allowed them to really speak up and voice their opinion, but some people have a quieter personality that hinders them from voicing their opinion. Some people are more agreeable, which allows them to cruise in life, but some people are stubborn, and "hard headed" which creates more arguing. Their personality isn't always a bad thing though, because it can, in return, lead us to having a greater solution to a problem.
Anywhere you go, anyone you see or interact with has a different personality, and sometimes it is good and sometimes it is bad.
Interesting post, Sophie. I was actually thinking the same thing while I was at AIPAC. I can tell you for certain that I saw a lot of stubborn people there. It's always interesting to see how personality traits persist and may even manifest themselves differently in different situations.
ReplyDeleteAgreed. When you're around a lot of people at once, like at a social function (like AIPAC or a conference) it's clear that people have such different traits. It's really interesting how some people can be so stable and introverted while others are so extroverted and more emotionally unstable. Now that we've learned about it I feel like I notice it more in people.
ReplyDelete