Almost every Friday night, I read the weekly People magazine. Usually I just skim through the gossip and sob stories and just look at the pictures. As I was flipping through the pages, I noticed a familiar word: Hypothalamus! I was pretty excited about my discovery so I went on to read the article. It's a really sad story but I was proud of myself for understanding it.
The article is about 12-year-old Alexis Shapiro (probably Jewish). In 2011, she had a tumor removed from her brain. While the tumor was being removed, her hypothalamus was damaged. The ventromedial hypothalamus, to be exact. The ventromedial hypothalamus secretes obestatin and leptin (which make you feel full). Now that its damaged, she can't stop eating because her hunger hormones are not secreting properly and she is always hungry. Alexis has gained 151 pounds in only 2 1/2 years. She adds about a pound or two every week and she's only 4'7". She is constantly on diets, but since her body is a constant starvation mode, she stores more calories everyday than she burns. Since there is currently no cure for hypothalamic obesity, Alexis's only option is gastro bypass surgery. Her doctor says that this surgery could get rid of between 20 and 30 percent of her body mass. Since their insurance won't cover the surgery, they started a campaign to raise money for the surgery. Ever since news outlets have covered her story, they have raised over $78,000. In a few weeks, Alexis will have the surgery. Even after losing the weight, she will still have to continue hormone replacement therapy.
Hypothalamic obesity is very rare. It is often found in children who have been treated for a rare brain tumor called craniopharyngioma which usually affects only children (about 350 a year in the US). There is no cure. There are some drug treatments that can suppress the appetite for some time, but for many of the kids, gastro bypass is the only option. With HO, these kids are gaining weight so quickly that they really can't do much anymore. The excessive weight combined with the constant hunger pains make for an uncomfortable life. It's all really sad. The pictures of Alexis before the removal of the brain tumor show a cute little girl, and after she can hardly move because she has gained so much weight. Hopefully research will lead to improved treatments or a cure in the near future.

First of all, how exciting to find psychology terms in People! But, on a more serious note, I think it's important that this story is being spread around, because a lot of people probably don't realize that kids have to live with obesity because they actually cannot control their hunger, not just because they like to pig out. I find it depressing that the only way to cure this condition as of now is to get surgery, though it is nice to know that it will help this girl. However, I also hope that a better cure will be found soon to prevent more unfortunate cases.
ReplyDeleteThat is a very interesting story, thanks for sharing. I do believe strongly in finding things to help with obesity. People often think thought that it is the persons fault. However, when someone is massively obese most of the time it really isn't totally their fault. It is the hormones and other things in their body that is causing them to need to eat. Like Alexis in the story. Besides for trying to find a cure for obesity we need to make sure there is no bullying going on towards obese kids in the meantime.
ReplyDelete