Sunday, March 23, 2014

Treating Ornithophobia

So, I have this fear (see previous blogpost), and now we need to know how to treat it. There are many types of therapy that I could undergo, but only one or two would really be the most effective.

First, cognitive-behavioral therapy. This will change my thoughts from negative ones about birds, to more positive ones about birds. It will also reverse my classically conditioned thoughts about birds. The therapist will help me overcome milestones in interacting with bird. Like first he will make me look at a picture of a bird, and by the end of it, I will be able to have a bird stand on my head. This is the best approach to animal phobias because it really reverses the phobia cognitively and behaviorally.

If the phobia was severe there could be some anti-anxiety drugs I could take, and take the psychopharmacology route. This is when you use medical treatment and medicine to treat a psychological disorder. The drugs will only reduce your fear so you can stand going through therapy.

If anyone has any type of animal phobia, I would suggest this very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.