Sunday, March 30, 2014

Got My Foot Caught in the Door

Oops! Have you ever agreed to a really big job because you already involved yourself in it on a smaller scale? I know that I have! This is commonly known as the Foot in the Door Phenomenon. When salesmen used to make door calls, they used to just try and get their foot in the door and that would have the customer hooked. By letting the salesman in, you were agreeing to something small with implication of agreeing to something larger later.

If you ever try and ask someone to do something big at first, they are going to most likely say no, but if they have been involved in the project recently or been asked to do something smaller for it, they are more likely to say yes. For example if I ask you to make 200 cookies off the bat, you are most likely going to say no. But, if I ask you to go shopping for the ingredients with me, you feel like you are obligated to do something with those ingredients and soon you will have made 200 cookies.

It happens to all of us. When have you experienced the Foot in the Door Phenomenon?


3 comments:

  1. YES! when you agree to help someone with something, then you end up doing it all. Or if I home and I am asked to make one dish for a meal, once I make one I end up making all. It is truly lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG DON'T LET THEM IN THE DOOR! I seem to make this mistake all the time, especially when it comes to helping other people. Don't get me wrong -- I like helping other people out, but like you said, Sophie, when you ask for something small first, it's easier to get people to agree to helping or doing something bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't think of a particular time that this has happened to me, but I know that it for sure has. I feel like once I start doing something for somebody, I'd just feel guilty not finishing through. But the small things really do pile up eventually.
    Sometimes, though, I think the foot in the door can be useful. (Maybe I'm making this up and this isn't the same thing, but...) Sometimes when I'm at the gym and I really don't feel like running or doing anything I'll think to myself "well, I'm already here.. " or "well, I already ran one mile..." Having my 'foot in the door' was the only thing that allows me to not flub sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.