Sunday, March 16, 2014

Paralympic Snowboarders: Best of the Best

At some point in the last month, I was watching a video on YouTube when this advertisement came up. I thought I would skip it after 5 seconds, like I usually do, but then I thought, "PSYCHOLOGY!"


To sum up the ad for you, she went through a lot of challenges, including contracting bacterial meningitis and losing her legs. Despite all of that, she believed in her own power and wanted to pursue her dream of becoming an Olympic snowboarder. Although this ad came out before the 2014 Paralympic Games in Sochi, I can now say that she won a bronze medal in her Paralympic debut and will appear on the upcoming season of Dancing With The Stars. Talk about drive.

So this post is a little bit of a throwback. I'm sure you can all guess what she has and what helps her make it through and continue trying. That's right, it's her internal locus of control. As an athlete, you absolutely need an internal locus of control to keep practicing and working. Otherwise, you'll just go to Olympic trials and fall on your tuchus because that's your fate and your fate is out of your hands. On top of being an athlete, she's also missing her legs! After that, most people would give up and say that their fate isn't to become a world-class snowboarder. Amy Purdy, though, took control of her life and said that the power to direct her life is in her hands. Basically, wow.

1 comment:

  1. I read about her on Yahoo last week! She is so cool. She must have some serious intrinsic motivation to do what she does. At the olympics it must be really difficult to keep that internal locus of control. I mean, after working so hard for so long, it must be hard to think that after making a mistake, it was your fault and not outside forces. I would probably blame some external factors. It's very impressive that she is able to keep such a strong internal locus of control.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.