Flying High While Still on Ground
In honor of the Winter Olympics which just ended (teardrop) I shall post about the art of visualization and how many Olympians use this method as a sort of mental training. Now, go on and click here to read "Olympians Use Imagery as Mental Training" by Christopher Clarey. There's a fun video at the top, which I suggest you all watch after you read the article. It's pretty cool to see the visualization in action. If you guys watched the video- what did you think of it? Was it weird to see that girl act that whole thing out?
Visualization has been used in the Olympics since the 60s, yet over the years this practice has become increasingly sophisticated and elaborate. These days athletes use visualization as much as possible. They think out the course in their heads. They envision every possible problem that they can think of- and then some out-of the ordinary obstacles just in case. They can hear the crowd in their head, and they can see themselves going through the course. Pretty crazy, huh? What is your overall view of visualization? Emily Cook, an American aerialist said this about visualization: "You have to smell it. You have to hear it. You have to feel it, everything."
Teams bring 'sports psychologists' with them to the Olympics to help them with their visualizations. When talking about competitive sports such as the Olympics, conversation is often very focused on the athleticism and the physical skills the athletes possess. That's all well and nice, but I happen to think that the psychological strength that these athletes have is probably the most impressive characteristic they have. In order to really succeed competitively, you can't just be really, really good at what you do- you also have to be able to be perfect whenever, wherever, no matter who is watching, and no matter what the stakes may be. This visualization might be what is separating the Olympians from the other athletes. It's not they are more exceptional than everyone else, it's that they are able to be consistent with their awesomeness. It's that they don't crack under pressure. They see themselves winning before they've even been to the field in person. That's how good they are.
What if we took the sports psychology out of visualization and thought about it in more personal terms. Do you think you could use visualization to help prepare you for tests? Be it APs, SATs, or regular tests? What about for job interviews? Think about it- just like practiced skiiers, you've studied a lot for your tests or whatever it may be. It's not just about knowing the information, though, it's about applying it in the most stressful situations- when it's needed the most. Have you ever tried visualization to help you with any stressful event/thing? As much as I am fascinated by this concept, I don't know if I'd be very good at something. But maybe I haven't wanted something so much as to try it? I don't know. Maybe I'll try it sometime. I'll imagine all the obstacles, go down the metaphorical 'track', make all the right moves... see if it works.
The video was pretty cool (as well as the article). It's a pretty cool concept. What's even crazier is that it actually works. Hearing her talk about it it kind of sounds unreal. And watching her go through the movements it looks pretty weird!
ReplyDeleteI think it's pretty cool - visualization - but I feel like I just wouldn't be able to do it! I feel like you have to be really calm and focused and I doubt I could get that focused on something like that - I would feel silly!
I definitely think that visualization could help with test scores and job interviews - it's kind of like planning out what you're going to say, thinking of possible things they could ask, and what you'll respond. Thinking of the things you aren't as familiar with and how you'll approach them. I guess I've kind of done that - but at the same time I'm more of a take it as it comes type of person.
As an athlete, I have used visualization many times. I usually use it to train my muscles and my brain to automatically go through my level tests and my routines. In skating, you don't really have time to think about what you're doing, so visualization helps you make your routine truly second nature. It also requires a lot less bodily stress, so it's easier to do. I've also used visualization to plan out conversations. Actually, I used visualization on Tuesday to review my lobbying statement before I presented my issue to Senator Bob Corker. In the end, it went well! All in all, visualization works for me.
ReplyDelete