Friday, February 28, 2014

The OCEAN of Personality

There are many different theories in the trait perspective. Traits are people's characteristic behaviors and conscious motives -- how they typically act, what they're aware of that motivates behavior. 

The theory that I thought made the most sense was the five factor theory or the OCEAN of personality. In this theory, there are 5 basic traits that all the other aspects of personality fall into. 

Openness to experience -- ranging from outgoing to reserved. 

Conscientiousness -- ranging from organized to careless.

Extroversion/Introversion -- extrovert liking group activities and social endeavors; introvert preferring solitude and quiet. 

Agreeableness -- stubborn vs. easy going or suspicious vs. trusting. 

Neuroticism -- emotional stability. High neuroticism = instability, low neuroticism = calm and reserved. 


To me, this one made the most sense because it had the right amount of categories - not too many but not too few. Hans Eysenck had 4 basic dispositions - but I felt like this was too few. Gordon Allport had different kinds of traits - but didn't list specific ones. Raymond Cattell had 16 traits - which was way too many and they overlapped. 

I thought that many traits could fall into each of these categories and they didn't really overlap or weren't repetitive. 

Which theory made the most sense/did you like most? 

1 comment:

  1. To me, it seems like the Five Factor Theory is good, but even it overlaps a little. It looks like openness to experience and extroversion/introversion are kind of the same, as they both assess how outgoing or "not-outgoing" a person is. I don't know that any one theory especially speaks to me, as they all incorporate a slightly different perspective and include different traits. However, I did like the Five Factor Theory the best because, like you said, it's pruned down to the most important things, and it's not too many or too few.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.