Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Parenting Style

When we took the questionnaire about our mother's parenting style, I felt as if I wasn't totally sure how my mom felt about these issues, but I did the best I could answering them. I was wondering what the outcome would be if my mother took the questionnaire herself. Would her answers be different?
So I decided to make my mom do much of the legwork for this blog post and have her fill out the questionnaire.

Below is a handy dandy chart of the results:

As you can see, our results were pretty similar. The biggest difference was in the authoritarian category, with my mom rating herself five points higher.

When I took the questionnaire, I was evaluating my mother. When she took it, she was evaluating herself. This seems like a recipe for bias. Is my mother's parenting style really mostly authoritative, as our questionnaires would suggest? It would be interesting to see how an outside observer might answer these questions. What might be the outcome if someone were to study our family and my mother's parenting style for a period of time and then answer the questionnaire?

1 comment:

  1. Lily,
    you are the bestest! I was wondering what my momma would have answered when I was taking that quiz, but I never actually went to her and found out. It's so cool that you actually did! It's interesting to see how your answers are pretty spot on. Oh, Mindelers.
    Even though it may seem like she was being bias, I don't think that 5 points is a lot at all. It really could have been a simple 1 point difference on 5 questions. All in all, I think you two basically see eye to eye on how things are. Which is really good.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.