Sunday, February 2, 2014

Baby Signing

While we have moved on from our unit on language, but baby sign language has always interested me. I didn't really know about it much until my cousin started to teach her daughter how to sign when she was an infant. I've also always wondered why/how babies could pick up sign language so well and sometimes even more quickly than spoken language.

Much research has been done and has discovered that babies who are taught sign language in their infancy have had better speaking skills around 2.5-3 years of age. While research has been done, I would really like to focus on the conclusions of this research.

It was found that an infant's manual activity develops much before its speaking development does. When a child can move his hands around more before he can speak, it only makes sense that babies can learn sign language more quickly because the movement is already there.

The second thing that was found is that infants make predictable and stable hand movements and shapes during the same month they start to express consonants. This also shows that they are already make appropriate hand gestures before they can form full words.

Lastly just two fun facts about baby sign and baby language development. One, parents who teach their babies signs are more likely to be better at language themselves and passed it down to their children. Second, the more gestures that you use when interacting with an infant, the easier it will be for the infant to learn sign.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting topic, Sophie. We actually touched upon this topic in class when we were learning about critical periods. We basically said that children need to be exposed to some form of language before age 7 or they will never be able to learn how to speak. I have heard that kids can learn how to express themselves through sign much more quickly than through speech. It's an interesting parenting idea. I mean, who wouldn't want to teach their kids to cry less?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so interesting! I know that when Eitan was younger, my mother taught him how to say "more" in sign language (pinching your finger and then tapping your hands together) so he would learn to do that when he wanted more food instead of screaming. My aunt is doing that with my cousin Shayna now also, and I can see how beneficial it is. Who knew that signing could help all people and not just the deaf?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is pretty cool. I have seen young kids sign before and I always just assume they are geniuses but maybe it is just easier for them. Do you think you'll try to teach your child a second language during their sensitive period? i think I'm going to marry someone who is fluent in another language so we can talk to our child in more than one language. First I'll see how it goes with the Lubetskis, though, then I'll decide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really interesting topic. I agree with what you said when you said that babies have the movement before they can speak, but sign language isn't just arbitrary movement.. it has meaning and it does require cognitive elements. It's language -- so if a baby doesn't have language, it doesn't seem like they should be able to speak or sign.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.