Sunday, October 20, 2013

Select What You Hear

I find that parents seem to really have selective inattention because a lot of times when I need to get my parents' attention they will be doing something else. A lot of times I will have to call my mom's name multiple times before she can grasp that I'm calling her. She would be reading a book or crocheting a hat and I will call her name and by the fifth time maybe she will look up and ask if I was calling her. A lot of times it also depends on how into the book she gets. If she isn't that interested she will realize that I'm calling her name. If she is interested and deep into her book it takes her a long time to notice.

I also realize that selective attention plays a big role in our school lives, in two ways. Since we are now in the 21st century and we take notes on the computer, your attention is less focused. As you listen to the teacher talking you take down notes, but there is also people around you who are talking and even if you are not perceive to what the people are saying you still subconsciously hear it.

When you look back at your notes, there might be something a little off about it. There may be some words that are out of place. Then you realize that the words that weren't supposed to be there are words you had overheard from other people around you.

There is also the aspect of just having your computer with you at all times. You look on a different site for a second just hoping to check a website to see what is going on. You realize you were on the other website for ten minutes. Way longer than you expected. Then you look back up to focus on the lesson the teacher is learning and you realize you had totally lost focus on that too and you have no idea what the teacher is saying anymore.

5 comments:

  1. I really liked your blog because this completely applies to me. I always see random words in my notes that make no sense because I'm trying to pay attention to the teacher and to what other people are saying. It also happens when I talk: I'll hear other people's conversations and random words will pop out of my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more with this post! These things always happen to me. It's so strange that we're learning about concepts that explain the things that go on in our everyday lives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last last paragraph basically sums up every class where I use a computer. Having a computer can be very helpful when it comes to taking notes, but if I go on another website for a minute--it turns into ten and I look up and am like, "hey..when did we get here.." Anyway, like the post. Very relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! This is so relevant. Selective attention really shows us that we are limited in our capacity to perceive. Although we think we are in control, we aren't. We cannot multi-task. It just doesn't work. When we concentrate our attention on one thing, even for what seems like a minute or two, we lose focus on what held our attention before.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.