Sunday, October 13, 2013

Split Brain

Okay. I think split brain is probably one of the most fascinating things I've seen in a long time. When I first read it I was seriously contemplating splitting my brain just because I was so obsessed with it.

Reasons why it's so cool: 
1) YOU CAN DRAW TWO THINGS WITH DIFFERENT HANDS.. BUT AT THE SAME TIME!!
2) Although one would think that this people would not be able to function properly.. they really can! there's only a few problems they have:

If a split-brain patient was blindfolded and someone put a key in their right hand, if they were asked what was there they could tell you because language is in the left hemisphere of the brain and the key was in their right hand (due to the fact that the haptic pathway is contralateral, the person would process this in the left side of the brain, and therefore be able to say it). However, if it was in the patient's left hand, they would not be able to tell you what they saw. 

NOTICE: this is all while blindfolded. I myself found myself wondering the same question as you: why is that? The answer is quite simple actually! Due to the visual half-fields (since each retina is split in half - with the right visual field and the left visual field), if the patient was able to see this issue would not be present because the information that they see would go both to the left and right.

FASCINATING!

I found an interesting video I would like to share with you all about split-brain patients! Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.