Sunday, October 13, 2013

Fraternal Twins

What I found the most interesting this week was when we talked about fraternal twins and the fact that they could possibly be the same even if there were separated for their whole lives, because they have the same DNA. So I wanted to look further into fraternal twins so I searched stories on them and I came across a few that caught my eye.

The first one was about twins who were separated at birth and were once again reunited when they were 39. It turns out their lives were exactly the same. They were both given the same name. Both were married twice, both women had the same names. They both had a dog with the same name. They named their son the same first and middle name. They had the same job. They both drove the same car. Their similarities really show that in this case is was complete nature that they are the people they are.

Another story I found strange and a little disturbing was that there were twins that were separated at birth and they met at some point in their lives not knowing that they were twins. When they met they felt a strange connection. What was weird about it was that they got married in the end. The courts had later figured out that they were siblings and they would according to law need to get divorced.

It is just so amazing how close and similar twins can be even thought they haven't lived their life together at all.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, this kind of grossed me out but I see your point. Aside from the fact that now I'm worried that I could possible marry some long lost sibling of mine, I liked the connection you made. It seems unfair that these people would be separated just for science, but I think that researchers would be careful to find twins that were already separated or separate twins with their parents' consent. I still think it's not right, but I see how scientists can find these types of cases without the whole world jumping down their throats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really cool. Its amazing how much this proves are how much are genes effect us. Maybe that why people can fight with their siblings but still love them. You have some of the same genes which goes you to have a connection without you realizing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting stories, Racheli. This really does show the effect of genes on twins. Although environment accounts for differences in siblings, identical twins really are identical. I do agree with Shani, though. It really isn't fair that once they got married (they really had a lot in common), they had to endure all this trauma. They did not even know they were twins! But, it was also pretty cool to read the psychology textbook's other fascinating stories about separated twins and their many similarities.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.