Saturday, October 19, 2013

Déjà Vu

I think we have all experienced Déjà Vu at least once. "Have I seen this before?" "Did the cat just walk by twice?" "Is there a glitch in the Matrix?" The science of Déjà Vu can be boiled down to some basic principles of sensation and perception. Although the exact cause of Déjà Vu is unknown, scientists have come up with three main theories about the likely cause of this phenomenon. Here is a lovely TED-Ed video to introduce the topic:

This week in class, we learned a lot about sensation and perception of sight. Sight is the main sense in which Déjà Vu is found because sensations for the other four main senses can be replicated. You can taste, touch, hear, and smell something more than once. Why is sight different? In life, people are never in the exact same place at the exact moment in time after that one moment. Additionally, the eyes have ways of improperly processing the information they receive.

Here are the basics of sensation of sight. Light waves enter the cornea (protective film over the eye), travel past the iris (muscle that controls the amount of light allowed into the eye) and into the pupil (black hole that leads directly to the inner eye). From there, the light goes to the lens. The lens then projects the light onto the retina, which turns the light waves into neural messages. The neural messages are processed in the rods and cones, which process color and black and white respectively. The messages then go through the horizontal, bipolar, and amacrine cells to the ganglion cells to the optic nerve to the thalamus and FINALLY to the visual cortex for perception. As others have already said, there are many many many steps occurring just so that we can see.

Another interesting point of note is that the first theory presented in the video has to do with dual processing. When so many messages are being sent throughout the brain at once, it is easy for one processing mechanism to run slower than others, causing you to feel like you have seen the thing you are seeing right now before. When the brain works properly, no one notices. People go through their entire lives without ever knowing that is actually happening in the brain. When something goes wrong with the brain, it causes curiosity. Since Déjà Vu is such a fleeting and sporadic experience, scientists can't actually pinpoint what causes it or how they can reproduce the sensation in the same way that the brain produces it.

Curiosity is an important part of science. By the time we are working adults, scientists may be closer to finding the causes of Déjà Vu. For now, it is all speculation. At the same time, I find it wonderful and fascinating that there are still things that people don't understand.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh. Holograms..
    I loved this post! Okay, I've definitely had deja vu before- it's so weird. But it actually feels like the thing has happened before! I guess these theories make sense, maybe, but.. I don't know. I guess the holograms one was my favorite.
    Is deja vu scientific enough for them to ever figure out the real cause?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Sarah for blogging about daja vu! I always have that felling that I have been by a place I never have been before. Or that something someone tells me I could promise the scenario where I'm telling someone that had happend before. It always creeps me out! So thabks for shedding some light on the topic and letting me know I'm not just crazy. To bad they still didn't find out the actull reason. I always tell myself that the reason why I am feeling daja vu is becouse a simalar incident happend to me and Thefore I think that the thing I'm doing already happend. However in reality I never did it I just did something similar. This is defiantly something that is super intristing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wondered about deja vu. It's such a strange sensation, that whenever it happens I have to take a few moments afterward to process how weird that moment was. It's actually mind boggling if you think about it. I just watched a Supernatural episode today where the main character was stuck in a time loop, reliving Tuesday over and over again. Deja vu is basically like that, except obviously on a much lesser scale. I hope one day scientists can determine the true cause of deja vu. It's be interesting to know.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.