I actually learned what a placebo was on September 11, 2009 (weird how that was only a few days ago, except not in 2009, obviously) when The Suite Life on Deck came out with an episode called "Smarticle Particles". And yes I did look that up, I am not a Suite Life on Deck expert. In this episode, for those who don't know, Cody bets Bailey that she won't be able to help London get a B on a test. Bailey takes the bet and decides to use the placebo effect on London, pretending that her perfume makes her smarter. This does not end up working, and London gets a C+, but in the end, its the "Special Smart Lipstick" that helps London get a B+.
When I found out that we would be learning about the placebo effect in this class, I immediately remembered watching this episode. It is a perfect example of the placebo effect. The actual definition of placebo is "a simulated or otherwise medically ineffectual treatment for a disease or other medical condition intended to deceive the recipient," which is a bunch of words that means just thinking that you are being given help can actually help you. To me, this is one of the most fascinating things about the brain and hopefully we'll be able to go into more depth about why and how it occurs later on.

I am also really interested in the placebo effect. The fact that you connect it to a childhood show, really helps to connect it. I didn't remember the episode but looking back on it, I had the idea of what it was, but never understood. I had been old about it before but never really got to learn about it. I hope to learn about it too.
ReplyDeleteFirst off, I think it's important to note that The Suite Life on Deck was nowhere near as brilliant and life-altering as The Suite Life of Zack and Cody. Can I get an amen?
ReplyDeleteSecondly, I also would like to learn more in depth the reason why taking a placebo can actually positively affect the results. Maybe one day I could participate in a psychological experiment and really understand this idea for myself. How cool would that be? I'll add it to my nonexistent bucket list. Yeehaw!
AMEN!!!!
ReplyDelete