When performing an experiment there are certain rules that follow the ethic code before and during the experiment. You have to get consent, cause the the people no harm or pain and debrief them after about what you just did. But is this just a random set of rules? Do they actually help? To psychologist actually follow it or try to get around it?
You have to get consent. Every-time I buy something, fill something out or participate in something on line there always that little box to check. It says check her if you agree to are terms and services. The few times that I actually open to see the term I quickly exited the tap as soon as I saw the 10 pages of tiny words. Aint no body come time for dat! Countless of times I just check of that box with out looking to see what the terms and conditions are. Is that consent? If it says there that they can use my information legally I gave them permission but in reality I didn't. In reality I can be checking that that someone has the right to sleep in my house whenever they want and I wouldn't even know. But is that fair? I don't think so If its the same kind consent used by experiments then that should not be legal. There should be a minimum of how many words can be in those consent forms in order to insure that people are reading it and not just signing it.
Do not cause harm or pain to someone. While doing an experiment many times you don't know the reactions of people. You have no idea what kind of damage you can do to a person. By giving someone a placebo during an experiment can cause that person to not get better! That is causing harm. Most things you are trying is an experiment you don't know the outcome that why your trying it out. If you don't know the outcome then there is no way of knowing that you wont cause harm. You may hurt someone mentally and it will only effect them years after but it still because of the experiment. I think there needs to be a more details then just don't cause harm or pain. There should be specific rules to what type of experiments can be used on people or not.
Debrief the people you just experienced on. This is the only one that I see how if the researcher is a honest person he cant mess up. But its not good enough just to debrief must follow the other procedures as well. They have to make sure to be honest with the people and then debriefing is a great rule.
Ethics are important but complex. While putting on an experiment you have to follow rules. They are important and should be followed. Hopefully they will be even better in the near future.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.