Monday, September 2, 2013

Intro to Psychology

This past week or two we have learned the basics of what psychology is. From the history, to the different sub-fields, it really gave me insight into what psychology is all about what I will be learning about throughout the year. 

We started with the history of psychology dating back all the way to ancient Greece with Pluto and Socrates. They started the era of Pre-Scientific Psychology. Pre-scientific psychology existed all the way through the mid-1800's when Wilhelm Wundt founded the first psychological lab which started the age of Psychology as a Science. People could now experiment with people's behavior and try to find out how the brain works. Up until about the 1960's were were limited, but in 1960 the x-ray was discovered which was a huge bonus in the world of psychological research. People could now look at the brain more closely and see how it works where as before they could only infer from people's behavior. This is what has paved the way for what we define psychology as today, the study of mental processes and observable behavior. 

 Next, we learned about the different subfields of psychology. About every field out there has a psychological element. There are psychologists for for education that test learning disabilities and educational psychologists that come up with different methods of learning for all different types of children. There psychologists who work in the business/corporation field who test different types of marketing based on the population and their thoughts. There are also psychologists who work in the medical field. There are clinical psychologists who work with patients who have mental disorders by using shock therepy and other techniques and then there are psychiatrists who can proscribe medicine for people with mental disorders. 

Learning about the different types of psychologists and the history of psychology made me think of whether or not I want to go into the psychological field. I have always found the subject very interesting and I can't wait to learn more about psychology and the elements around it. I hope that by the end of the year it will confirm whether or not I want to go into psychology. 

2 comments:

  1. Psychology is amazing Sophie that's very true. Besides for all the reasons you gave there's another reason why i love it. It helps me understand why I do specific things. Why I am acting in a specific way or why I react to something in a specific way. Learning psychology is a great eye opener to ones self.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think psychology would be cool to study. But, there are both sides-good and bad. It can be a very difficult subject, but also at the same time, it can be very difficult to comprehend. I also thought just going into the introduction to psychology really gives you a view on what you're about to learn this year.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.