Sunday, March 11, 2012

Spotlight Effect

The spotlight effect is when you presume that people are noticing and evaluating you more than they actually are. This is such a simple idea that actually makes so much sense! Because I am a very self conscious person this really happens to me a lot. Not only do I always think people are watching me but I feel like every word I say is being examined so closely.
During exam week I always go through the spotlight effect. During exams, it is a proctor's job to walk up and down the rows and look at everyone's papers and everything. Even though I know that, I always feel like the proctors are looking at me! Now, that I'm writing this I know that it is not true at all, and that they are looking at everyone equally. However, when someone glances at me, I freak out and automatically assume that they are suspecting me. Another time I went through this was during the play. During the final show in front of everyone I was freaking out because I knew that this time everyone was ACTUALLY looking at me (if they were paying attention). Yes, they were watching me, but they didn't notice every step I took or every word I said. When I got home from the performance, I started asking my mom all of these things where I thought I messed up. I asked her the craziest questions, the littlest things like did you notice that I took an extra when I was walking over to Racheli. I only noticed these small things because I knew that everyone was watching, but of course, my mom did not ever recall me taking an extra step.
Do you guys think that the spotlight effect has something to do with one's inferiority complex or is just nerves that is getting to you?

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with everything you said. Maybe I also act in this way because i am very self conscious, but I do not think that this always relates to the inferiority complex. If someone already feels inferior all the time, they should definitely experience the spotlight effect because they constantly think they are inferior to everybody. I guess that it does take confidence to not experience the spotlight effect. Whether a person has an inferiority complex or not, they will probably experience the spotlight affect in some way or another. It is totally normal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello!
    so in class we actually discussed how the spotlight effect is more common in adolescent. The reason for that is the fact that teenagers are still trying to find their identity and are often very confused about who they are. Therefore, they are often self conscious and feel inferior and are confused. Therefore, i definitely agree with you that we have this feeling of inferiority and therefore feel like everyone is watching every single move we make.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.