Last week we learned about Freud's ego defense mechanisms. One of them seemed a little bit disturbing to me: sublimation. This is when a person acts out unacceptable impulses in a socially acceptable way. An example that Mrs. Perl gave on our sheet was a person becoming a doctor because he likes to cut. This reminded me of a show called Dexter. It is a very intriguing show, yet slightly disturbing. Dexter, the main character is a serial killer, but he only kills bad guys. He also works as an investigator. Because of the job he has, he can find the bad guys in each case and go after them. This show is kind of the opposite of what sublimation is because he actually kills people, but on the other hand, he has a job investigating murders and crime scenes to fulfill his desire for blood. Does anybody else think this is kind of creepy? It does not seem like it is a real defense mechanism to me. However, think about this: what if some doctors are actually doctors so that they can cut people for a good purpose (like Doctor Cullen from Twilight!) Scary!
hello!
ReplyDeleteloved your post until you threw twilight in there. Ew!
I find that kind of defense so scary as well. Upon hearing it, i actually got so so so scared. Like imagine your doctor subliming his actions in an acceptable manner. Or even more creepily, the police officer who is supposed to make you feel safe! I wonder whether sublimation is actually something that is real and if it is, im officially scared.
Wow! This is a very interesting post! I actually also know the show Dexter and I am guessing he is an investigator because he is trying to cover up that he is a serial killer. I guess sublimation affects people´s decisions in life since they take into account what their desires are and therefore chose a job that is similar to it. Sometimes it is normal such as someone who likes to paint being a painter, but I guess sometimes it is something creepy such as the enjoyment of cutting. But we need those kind of people in the world too, to perform these jobs therefore I think it is something positive.
ReplyDeleteI've never watched the show Dexter before and I don't think I will ever watch it. This is too freaky for me! I really don't want to think of my doctor doing what he does because he likes to cut things. But, I don't know? If he still does his job and keeps me healthy maybe it doesn't really matter? I guess it is just the thought that is scaring me. You never really know what people's thoughts/motives are inside and sometimes you never really find out.
ReplyDelete