Sunday, March 11, 2012

Psychological Disorders

We started Chapter 16, which is all about Psychological Disorders. Because I love watching Criminal Minds, and many of the criminals (known as unsubs on the show), have psychological disorders, I thought I would talk about an episode I found very interesting.


In an episode that is played at least once every two weeks on the reruns, the BAU (behavioral analysis unit) of the FBI is tracking a man who enters womens homes and rapes them while another man calls the police, feeling bad about participating. The man who does the raping leaves messages on the internet about the women deserving it because they were immoral. Over the course of two episodes, we soon see that really, the unsub is a man named Tobias Hankel. He has multiple personality disorder- he is Tobias, the avenging angel Raphael, and his abusive, religious father. Tobias doesn't want to hurt anyone, Raphael wants to punish women cheating on their husbands, and Mr. Hankel simply abuses his son.


So, now that I hopefully caught your attention, here are some definitions about multiple personality disorders that I got off of wikipedia: Dissociative identity disorder is a psychiatric diagnosis that describes a condition in which a person displays multiple distinct identities or personalities (known as alter egos or alters), each with its own pattern of perceiving and interacting with the environment.  Tuition.com: a dissociative disorder, whereby two or more distinct and separate personalities are manifested within the same individual, each displaying different interests, memories and behaviour patterns. Askdrscully: an hysterical neurosis in which the personality becomes dissociated into two or more distinct but complex and socially and behaviorally integrated parts each of which becomes dominant and controls behavior from time to time to the exclusion of the others

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.