Sunday, March 25, 2012

BiPolar disorder in everyday life

As we have learned in class, the bipolar disorder is a mood disorder of high-manic phases and then the other exteme being the depressed phases. It is the different exteremes of mood swings, that make people not able to live a normal life since it changes their life dramatically.

Here is an example of a 40 year old woman who lives with this disorder. It shows how she copes with her situation and the truth and impact the disorder has on her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s46QDKd6_AI

In the video, they show how she is a painter. I feel like many great painters had either schizophrenia or the bipolar disorder. I dont know if it is because they are famous, therefore it is more noticable or maybe these disorder has brought them to great success. I wonder then if it is right to take away their tallent with medication. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Sharon-
    I really enjoyed watching this video. I thought it was interesting when she said "I found it was a relief for me to find out that I had a name for what was wrong with me." If you think about it, this is very true and is something the DSM IV helps to do. It's really important to identify what is actually wrong with a person so that they can get the help that they need. I also found it interesting that the woman noted that the highs of bipolar disorder are not enjoyable either. They are not fun or exuberant. She says that it is actually "debilitating."

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.