Monday, January 20, 2014

The Epitome of Our Lives

What is the epitome of our lives these days you may ask? Well, I would like to give you answer and attempt to explain it. I think (and probably most of you think) that all we are is stressed. Stressed all the time. I don't know if this is from the overloading of homework, or the many extra curricular programs that we do, or the high expectations put on us, but there has to be an answer to why high schoolers are stressed all the time.

According to an article on webmd.com, it's not only high schoolers who are always stressed. Little kids are also stressed. According to this article, it sounds like a lot of stress early on comes from pressure put on children by their parents, or teachers. It says that the stress levels at this school in Arkansas among the students is high due to fear of failing a simple standardized test. Much of that stress though, comes from nerves and getting nervous of failing. If stress starts that early in a child's life, then it can only get worse as life goes on. This article, while discouraging us that the young public is more stressed than they need to be, give us some great tips on how to relieve stress or prevent it from getting out of hand.

1. Watch for signs of school related stress - Whether it just be a blatant statement of stress, or sadness, it is the people around the stressed person's job to watch out for that. The article explains that many signs in young children are sickness, like headaches, and stomach aches.

2. Teach children time-management skills - Since kids, starting from the age of five, have school, extra curricular activities, and expectations at home, they need to be taught how to manage it all in an organized fashion. Teach them that it's better to space out homework, than cram.

3. Stress relieving homework tips - Since homework is always going to be a part of our busy lives, here are some tips that can help de-stress your homework experience.

  1. Keep a planner to manage due dates and deadlines, so you know how to space out your work.
  2. Study/do homework in a quiet place, because that will help you get in the flow, and get the homework done more efficiently.
  3. Do homework right after school, rather than later in the night. If you wait until later, you will be stressing about until you do it.
I hope this helped explain some of why we are always stressed. It helped me realize that in my life, stress stems from daily struggles and annoyances. 



2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, I have to agree with you, Sophie, that kids are always stressed. It's very difficult to always have your life in balance, and for me, at least, I know that that causes stress. I think homework always causes a large amount of stress because of the idea of a deadline. Knowing that you absolutely have to get something done at a certain time is not always comforting. Even taking those homework tips won't always relieve stress. I hope someone figures out a concrete way to do it soon, because it is not a comfortable sensation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Five year olds are stressed?! Can you imagine? How I would love to be five again... I like these tips. Very true. Though I do find that it is difficult to come home after a nine hour school day of nonstop work to jump right into doing more work, staring at your laptop screen for a couple more hours. It's definitely something I need to work on.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.