There are many different theories of what motivates us to do things. There is the Instinct theory, the Drive-Reduction theory, the Optimum Level of Arousal Theory, and Abraham Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs Pyramid.
Instinct Theory:
- It is a reflex.
- It is a response to a behavior that was never taught to you.
- Your instinct is what motivates your behavior
Drive Reduction Theory:
- Maintaing Homeostasis: There is a physiological drive in our body that wants the needs to be fulfilled
- Incentives: Psychological want for something.
- Our bodies need to be at an equilibrium for us to feel good.
Optimum Level of Arousal:
- You are motivated by something that makes you feel good.
- What is considered arousing is different for every person
- In truth, it is best to operate at the optimum level of arousal.
- People want to be at their own level where they feel good.
- Yerkes-Dodson law/ U curve: The higher the amount of arousal -> more likely you'd do well on a simple task that you already know how to do.
- Higher the arousal -> more likely you will do poorly on something you don't yet fully know how to do
Abraham Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs Pyramid
- There are 5 levels:
- a. Physiological need:
- food, air, water, and sleep: These needs are the most basic because all needs become secondary to these needs.
- b. Security Needs:
- safety and security: important for survival but not as demanding as Physiological neeeds
- c. Social Needs:
- belonging, loving, and affection: less basic than physiological and security needs.
- Esteem Needs:
- self-esteem, personal worth, social recognition, and accomplishment: these become increasingly important
- e. Self-actualizing Needs:
- highest level-self-actualizing people are self-aware, concerned with personal growth, less concerned with the opinion of others, and interested in fulfilling their potential.
Personally, when it comes to homework, I think for me it's more of a Drive Reduction that motivates me. When I finish the work, I get this sense of accomplishment that I have completed what had been stressing me out. There is a level of equilibrium in my body that I am done with what I need to be done with.
A little motivation for your day:
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.