In class this past week, we learned about the different theories of emotion:
James-Lange Theory: our experience of emotion is our awareness of our physiological response to emotion-arousing stimuli.
Canon-Bard Theory: emotion-arousing stimulus simultaneously triggers physiological responses and the subjective experience of emotion.
Schachter-Singer Theory: Two facto theory of emotion - we experience the physical arousal and cognitively label the arousal.
As we discussed specific scenarios in class, we realized that there's no one theory that's correct. Mrs. Perl also explained that we don't know so much about emotion - or atleast as much as we could.
I read an interesting article (http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ambigamy/201006/total-control-vs-no-control-theory-emotions-can-you-control-your-emotions-or-no) discussing whether or not we can control our emotions. So first, do you think we can control our emotions? When reading the article I noticed that the writer didn't mention anything about the 3 theories I just mentioned, but I was wondering whether or not we could apply them to this concept.
James-Lange Theory: the James-Lange theory states that we experience an event, it's followed by an arousal, then we interpret that information, and experience emotion. If we can somehow alter our interpretation of that arousal, then it seems like we could alter our experience of an emotion.
Canon-Bard Theory: the Canon-Bard theory states that we experience an event and then we (at the same time) experience arousal and emotion. It would seem to be from that theory that we can't really control our emotions.
Schachter-Singer Theory: the Schachter-Singer theory states that we experience an event, that's followed by arousal, the arousal is followed by reasoning, and then we experience emotion. To me, this one is the one that would make the most sense to control our emotions. We can reason in a way that can influence the way we experience an emotion.
What do you think? Which theory, if any, would explain how we can control our emotions?
I don't think we can control our emotions. I mean, when it comes down to the last minute in a Tigers game and we're only up 1 or 2, I can't help my emotions. My sympathetic nervous system just goes all out. Sometimes I try to control it so I can stay calm while I watch the game, but I haven't been successful. I think that emotions are something that we just don't have control over. Sometimes we have problems admitting that we're feeling certain emotions but I don't think its possible to control whether or not we feel them.
ReplyDeleteThis is a really good question! I really don't know if we can control emotions... sometimes I wish there was some easy way of controlling my emotions. Maybe we have to put mind over matter more? And if we appraise our emotions in a way that's like "this is no big deal" then we'll better be able to control our emotions?
ReplyDeleteI agree with the idea that the Schachter-Singer theory seems most reasonable in terms of controlling our emotions. I'm not sure if we can assume control over our emotions, as many emotions come naturally, but maybe by appraising our emotions differently, (similar to what Racheli said) we can try to change our perspective and perhaps have a more subdued reaction. It's definitely crucial to express emotion, but it would be cool to command the "amount" of emotion released, or something along those lines. Anywho, the article you posted along with your blog was super interesting and introduced some groovy ideas.
ReplyDeleteI think that Schachter-Singer Two Factor Theory explains emotions the best. It gives the cognitive and physical element and two is better than one. I think that when someone gets scared your stomach gets all twisted, and you start crying which means you have cognitively labeled the situation.
ReplyDelete