While thinking about what to write for this blog I thought, "Hey, why not write about something you know plenty about!" So that is what I'm going to do.
Insulin: what is it, what does it do, and what is its role in diabetes?
When we eat carbohydrates, they are eventually converted into a simple sugar, glucose, which is used for energy. Insulin is a hormone secreted by the pancreas that breaks down glucose, which in excess would be toxic to the body. Insulin allows the excess glucose to absorb into the liver and muscle cells which then use it for energy, the muscle energy we use for hard exercise.
I remember a couple summers ago, Camp Darom spent the Fourth of July with Henry S. Jacobs Camp, a Reform Jewish summer camp. While were there we had a musical guest. I can't remember his name, but I do remember him singing a song about a cranky pancreas (don't ask me why, I have no idea) and my brother, Ethan, turning to me and remarking, "Well, I definitely have a cranky pancreas."
And yes, he certainly does. Type 1 diabetes occurs when a person's pancreas produces very low levels of insulin or even stops making insulin altogether. (Type 2 diabetics are different in that, put simply, they still make insulin but their bodies don't properly absorb it). Type 1 diabetics must make up for the insulin that is not being produced by injecting it into their bodies themselves and monitoring their blood sugar level (normal levels are loosely around 70-140). Since carbs turn into glucose and glucose must be broken down by insulin, diabetics must keep track of how many carbs they are putting into their bodies and then calculate how much insulin is needed to break the carbs (glucose) down.
In simple terms, if a person injects too much insulin, their blood sugar levels become too low and can result in shakiness, change in emotions, and in extreme cases, loss of consciousness and even seizures. High blood sugar levels (resulting from too little insulin) are not as life threatening short term, but prolonged high blood sugar can result in increased risk of heart disease and stroke, kidney disease, vision problems, and nerve problems, problems usually found in older diabetics who never properly managed their diabetes.
As you can see, insulin is not only essential in controlling our hunger, but when it comes to diabetics, it is essential in keeping them alive and healthy.
Lily, thanks for that comprehensive summary of what insulin is and how important it is to maintaining a healthy body. I knew it was important before, but not nearly as important as you have made it sound. I'm glad that Ethan knows how to deal with his "cranky pancreas" and that his diabetes is in control.
ReplyDelete