Sunday, January 12, 2014

Our Pleasure In Others' Misfortune

Hello all! I welcome everyone to this new year of 2014. May this year bring plenty more chances for you all to ignore my many blogposts (amen). Now: let us begin. This week's blog post was inspired by the NYT article entitled "Our Pleasure in Others' Misfortune," which you can read by clicking here. This is actually somewhat of a book review for Richard H. Smith's new book The Joy of Pain.  

Have you ever felt a sense of hidden glee when something bad happened to somebody? Let's say something bad happens to somebody you're jealous of in some way... do you feel secretly happy because of it? Schadenfreude, or "harm joy," is the German term that describes this sensation. Schadenfreude is the pleasure we feel derived from another's misfortune. According to Dr. Smith, this seemingly "perverse" emotion serves an adaptive function: we are hard-wired to make social comparisons, which allow us to asses our talents and determine our status in the social order. Apparently even monkeys and dogs measure themselves against their peers. Do you ever feel like you're measuring yourself against your peers? Or maybe somebody your own age that you don't even know? Celebrities? It's completely normal, so don't feel embarrassed.. 


According to some psychologists, schadenfreude provides a glimpse into "the most basic conflict in the human psyche"- the friction between our selfish impulses and self-control. We're not trying to be bad people when we experience this delight, but we can't help it! Cheryl Stayred wrote, "We are all savages inside. We all want to be the chosen, the beloved, or the esteemed." Have you ever felt this desire? Or does this (apparently universal) desire seem too petty to you?


Let me be clear: in the case of schadenfreude, you are not doing anything to cause harm to another... it happens by happenstance. The article (as you know, because you read it) talks a lot about the downfall of Tiger Woods. Many people were jealous of Woods' seemingly perfect life: the beautiful wife and family, the flawless reputation. People compared themselves to Tiger and felt inadequate. When that whole scandal happened, people were happy because it brought Tiger closer to their level; people felt better about themselves. How did you feel when you saw Tiger's life falling apart? (No, not Tiger of the GMSG.)


Think about reality television. Dr. Smith writes that "we watch [reality TV] for those awkward scenes that make us feel a smidgen better about our own little unfilmed lives." Have you ever watched reality TV? If so- doesn't it make you feel better about your life?


So... What are your thoughts on schadenfreude? 

So long as it remains passive, schadenfreude can enhance our self-worth and serve as a reminder that even the most enviable people are fallible- just like us. 

BONUS! Compare this to the adaptation-level phenomenon or relative deprivation.  

4 comments:

  1. This is so interesting. I do believe that I have felt hidden glee in seeing someone struggle through something. Not something that actually causes them pain ( to make sure I dont sound like a cruel monster). Often if I know how to do something and I see someone struggle for it I would laugh. I think everyone does. Like when Mrs Perl tried to reach the window shades and couldn't we all laughed. We got enjoyment out of seeing her struggle with something we can do. I don't think we do this every time but we definitely do it sometimes.
    About watching TV, I usually dont like drama shows. I think they're stupid and pointless. Except this one show that I loved watching because of the main character. She was crazy and always getting into trouble. I realized I loved watching it because I would always compare myself to her and think " shes so crazy i'm so normal compared to her. There are people who are crazier than me" So I guess that theory can really be true as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting ideas. You're writing about all those things that you pretend you don't do, like I'd like to think that I don't feel a sense of glee when something bad happens to someone you're jealous of but then I'd be lying. Of course I compare myself to others and secretly want to be the chosen one. I guess its a human thing. I view all of this as a flaw of humanity. Can you think of any positive aspects of answering "yes" to any of the questions you posed above?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's pretty sad but very true that when bad things happen to others we have that sense of hidden glee - sometimes not so hidden. We're constantly comparing ourselves to others trying to outdo anyone around us - both physically and virtually. I think people always say oh I'm above that or no that's really not me but everyone feels these things to a certain extent. Yes, I might feel them more strongly than you but I think it's crazy to say 'oh that's too petty for me.' When celebrities fall apart, we often laugh. Like 'ha, they thought they were so great and untouchable, welll look at them now!' It's pretty sad, and usually when asked if they regret saying that, I bet most people would say they don't. I think schadenfreude is a really cool concept - it's one of those things that are 'so obvious' but when you state them it's like whoaaa, i never ACTUALLY thought about that.
    Thanks for sharing Rachel!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.