Sunday, January 26, 2014

Developmental Studies for Parents

Developmental psychology is very important to scientists and researchers who want to know more about how people develop through life; however, when I was researching some studies done, it seems like it's really the parents who are the most interested in this field of psychology. Parents use the child developmental studies to help them raise their children in the best and most healthy way possible. I came across a few studies that parents find to be the most helpful when it comes to raising children.

One of the studies looks at the correlation between a parent's deployment in the military and the child's psychological health. After studying more than 300,000 children aged between 5 and 17, scientists concluded that the longer a parent spend deployed, the more likely the child will develop some sort of emotional or behavioral disorder. These days, there are over a million children with parents who are serving in the military so I thought it was interesting to see that so many kids can be affected because of this. As a result of this study, there has been more emphasis on building a solid support system for kids with parents in the military.

Another study has to do with self control. Over a thousand children were tracked as part of the study. They were given developmental assessments throughout their childhood, adolescence, and adulthood. Researchers discovered that self control that develops in childhood affects adults' health, substance dependence, and can even affect their involvement in criminal offenses. Self control is considered a person's ability to control their impulses and regulate emotions. This study encourages parents to work harder to make sure children build self control while they are young. Children with low self esteem often grow up to be those teens who make bad choices and then to be adults with problems such as financial difficulties and health related issues.

These are just 2 examples of studies on children that parents look to to help them raise their children in the best way they can. Developmental psychology is not only meant to help us understand what happens to us as we grow, it is also meant to give practical advice to the people whose job it is to help children develop through life--the parents.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Developmental psychology is super interesting and this chapter was one of my favorites. In terms of the first study, I think that the idea of a relationship comes into play. The absence of someone you love and care about takes a toll on you. The ages in the study are at a point where development is prevalent, and it is crucial to have/build relationships. I also definitely agree with the second study. The habits you develop as a child will stay with you as you continue to develop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Noga, I love developmental psychology. It seems like the one unit that is chock full with interesting bits of information and helpful tips. Developmental psychologists probably find out all sorts of interesting things that could apply to every aspect of life, such as what you discussed here, Alyssa. It's just very interesting that studying the physical, psychological, and emotional development in humans can unveil so much about the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The past chapters have been more about learning and understanding ourselves (atleast I think so). But I agree with what you said in that it's not only about understanding how we grow, but gives us information about the future - how we could raise our own children.
    I found your facts really interesting -- the correlation between a parents deployment and a child's emotional or behavioral disorder is really interesting. It makes sense, but it's pretty sad.
    Also that self control will affect other things like criminal behavior make sense.
    That's what I like about psychology - sometimes there are things that just make sense and are 'obvious' but you wouldn't think it was psychology necessarily.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.