Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Fear of Conformity

We don't even realize we do it. We aren't conscious of it when it is happening. But now that it has been pointed out, now that we have learned all about it, I understand that we conform to social norms more often than not. Some conformations are not as recurrent as others, but there is one that I constantly find myself doing. Groupthink is prevalent in my life. When I work in a group with other students, I often find myself agreeing to their ideas, even though I find them completely moronic. I don't do this because I find value in those ideas, I do it because I want to maintain the harmony within the group. I do it because I think a happy group is a more efficient group. When everyone feels they are contributing, they feel a sense of harmony. They will work harder and better with others. So, you can't just shoot down every stupid idea that you come across. At times, you must concede your standards and bite the bullet. It's just the way of things, there isn't much we can do about it.

Deuces y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.