A lot of people say that they go to Chinatown in New York and haggle with the workers there. The only quesiton is, are they haggling properly? Are there any techniques that they should be using that they are not?
The first technique for bargaining that people should employ is the foot-in-the-door phenomenon. Although this mostly applies to workers, if you start at a high price and go a little lower the person will be willing to do it. For example, I have a TV that, in actuality, costs about 400$ so I say to someone, would you like to buy this TV for 350$ and they will probably say yes. Then, I say, "Ohh, I just realized this is the only TV I own so I am going to have to raise the price to 450$." They will probably say yes based on the foot-in-the-door phenomenon and I will get an extra 50$.
The next phenomenon is the door-in-the-face phenomenon. This is that you start at a higher price and then go lower and this one has a higher success rate. For example, I have the same TV that costs 400 so I say to Shmitty, "You want this sweet TV for 650?" Of course, Shmitty wiil say no and then I will lower the price to 500$ and he will think about it and then say yes.
These two techniques are essential for anyone who likes to haggle and get their money's worth so make sure to employ these next time you are at the market.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.